HISTORY OF LIMBERLOST LAND...
Limberlost Lodge has been around for a while! Dating back to 1935, the very first cottage was built by Jack and Bess MacDonald. Named "Cottage 5" throughout the years, we felt it was time to name this beloved cabin after the founder's of Limberlost Land. Now known as the MacDonald House ~ Founder's Cottage, guests of the property's oldest cottage can feel the love the MacDonald Family had, and continues to have for this magical place.
MacDonald House was where the family lived during guest visits to the Main Lodge (pictured above). At one time, all guests stayed in the Main Lodge while the MacDonald Family cooked and hosted them throughout the day, returning to MacDonald House to rest for the night.
Next to come, once MacDonald House was completed, was the Main Lodge in 1940, along with the famous "Duplex". Formerly referred to as Cottages 1 & 2 ~ these units were also renamed in 2016 when the Forrest Family officially took over Limberlost Lodge. Cottage 1 - now Iris Cottage, and Cottage 2 - now The Lily Pad were also constructed starting in 1940.
The 40`s must have been a very busy time for The MacDonalds, as 1943 saw the addition of The Loon`s Nest along the sandy shores of Chub Lake (formerly Cottage 3) as well as the Sauna Haus. Hard to believe that a single hand saw was used to fell the trees that built these amazing cottages. All by hand... log by log!
From Left to right - The Loon's Nest (built 1943) ~ Inside the Red Cedar Sauna ~ The Sauna Haus (built 1943)
Only a few years passed, and Jack was back in building mode, as Limberlost welcomed its newest arrival - Cottage 7. Now referred to as The Ladybug Hut ~ this cozy little cabin has been delighting guests since 1945!
Last, but certainly not least, the mid-fifties saw the construction of the workshop as well as Cottage 6 - The Pine Haus. The Pine Haus was just a tiny cabin until Limberlost was purchased by the property's second owners - The Kissau Family. First owned by Larry Kissau's parents, Larry took the reigns of Limberlost Land, where he grew up, in 1979... where he and Ute Kissau enjoyed 30 years of Limberlost Love.
Finally, in 1998, with much "encouragement" from Ute, Cottage 6 was finished (old trailer attached removed) to be the stunning cottage it is today. Also renamed in 2016, the Forrest Family wanted to ensure the Kissau name was etched into Limberlost Land forever. Thus, Cottage 6 became Pine Haus and the Kissau Trails remain... always!
>>>More HISTORY to come...